Monday, June 20, 2011

Break Time

Earlier this month.  He was in desperate need of a haircut!
     I know it's been too long since I've posted.  Somehow life seems to have a way of interfering with my best laid plans.
     Boo was hospitalized for a few days after one of his BP medications was omitted.  He's taking it again and his BP has responded.  We are taking a break from trying to reduce his BP meds right now.  He began losing some kidney function according to blood tests.  So, one of his diabetic medications was discontinued and a different one begun.  His BP and glucose levels are great!  I can't monitor his kidney function as well at home.  At his next doctor's appointment, his kidney function test will be repeated. 
     Boo's appetite has returned!  He is on a 2,000 calorie low salt, carb conscious, diabetic diet.  I use a spreadsheet to keep track of his sodium, carbohydrate and calorie intake daily.  It's become second nature now, though at first it seemed very regimented.  I keep a tray of raw veggies in the fridge with dip that he can eat anytime.  Fresh fruits I hide.  He'll eat every one in the house in one sitting if not monitored---and that plays havoc with his blood sugar.
     We have been attending Sacred Heart regularly.  At Boo's doctor's suggestion, Boo and I sit on the front row.  Being closer to the front helps him to focus and keeps him from seeing all the people present.  Father John comes over to give Boo communion before the other communicants and comes to bless him at the end.  Boo seems to be very comfortable with that routine.  Yesterday he actually talked to some of the parishioners as we were leaving!  He's never done that willing before and I haven't pushed him.  Sacred Heart is such a loving, welcoming community that I'm glad he's responding positively.  He definitely enjoys going to Mass.
     I probably won't be posting as regularly for three to four weeks.  I have a few health issues and I need to work out a treatment plan AND ease Boo into a new, hopefully brief, routine.  I will try to post when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment