Sunday, April 28, 2013

April Daybook 2013


FOR TODAY...

Outside my window...
it's dark and wet and chilly. We've had a very rainy day today with unseasonably cold weather. Mother noted that it's warmer in Vermont than it is here in North Carolina today. That doesn't happen too often.

I am thinking...
about all the things I need to do before bed. In fact, I've taken ibuprofen to help my aching joints before I begin. I need to straighten the house, about thirty minutes. Then I need to wash dishes, about ten minutes. Vacuuming the house will take another forty or fifty minutes. This carpet shows everything. I'd just like to start the week with a relatively clean house.

I am thankful...
for my family and friends most of all. They are wonderful, supportive and very loving. This week I'm also thankful for my new vacuum cleaner. It has quite a bit of suction and seems to work far better than my old one. It removes dust and dirt that Mom's vacuum (which I'd borrowed) left behind. Who knew I'd ever get excited about a vacuum?

In the kitchen...
are the remains of supper. We had chicken gumbo, hopping john and rice with reduced sugar carrot cake for desert.



This is a photo of part of our kitchen. I've always liked old country homes with bead board walls. This wall in our kitchen houses our dishes, lots of spices, cat food, kitchen and table linens, some packaged foods and food items I'm hiding from Boo (so he won't eat too much of them.)

The bird mugs are very special to me. Over forty years ago, we moved to a small town in the Piedmont area of North Carolina. Granny Galyon, one of the wonderful shut-ins at the church my father pastored, gave us those mugs for Christmas one year. She told Daddy not long after we'd moved that she “prayed him here.” Knowing Granny Galyon, I'm sure she was right. She may not have been able to get out and do things that she had when she was younger, but she certainly was a prayer warrior.

I am wearing...
black capris, a leopard print pullover with three quarter sleeves, a black sweater and black ballet slippers. For once, I'm color coordinated! I'd likely be in knock about clothes right now, but Mother and I took dinner to Mrs. Gloria, a very sweet shut-in. She and Mrs. Gloria used to go out to eat every Sunday. When my father and her husband were alive, they were a foursome.

Boo has on blue sweat pants, a gray sweat shirt and bedroom slippers. He's refused to leave the house today and just wants to be comfortable.

I am creating...
little touches to make our house feel like home. We've been here just over a month and love it. Still, it's the little things that make a house just feel homey.


I wanted to hang paintings and photos that are meaningful to us. The first two paintings are some that Mom painted in the 1980's. They remind me of my parents painting in the evenings and during holidays to relax.





One of Boo's daughter's gave him this Cajun print for Christmas years ago. Many Cajun children went to school as late as the 1940's and 50's speaking Cajun French as their first language. Boo remembers family members speaking French and stumbling over English. One of his cousins had a Cajun French radio show for years.



This ceramic powder dish was made for Mother by her mother, my Granny Hall. Granny Hall set a wonderful example of living a full, productive and creative life while caring for Papa who was an invalid. She took all kinds of craft classes though the agricultural extension department. Every year for Christmas, all her grandchildren were given something she'd made. One year it was afghans made from beautiful hand towels crocheted together. Another, it was crocheted scarves and tams. Mother received this ceramic powder dish for Christmas.



We've framed and hung several lovely drawings by grandchildren. I'm in the process of framing photos of family members. We also set up an altar in the living room as a reminder to pray daily. Boo rearranges it several times daily. Later I'll take and post more photos.

I am going...
to call Mom's primary doctor to find out when her next appointment is, what the results of her tests were and to set an appointment for Boo. Doctor's appointments and recording home medical records seem to be my job.

I am wondering...
just when I'm going to find time to do everything that I need to do. My to do list seems to grow longer daily. Just how did my grandmothers take care of their homes, husbands and other family members?

I am reading...
A Philadelphia Catholic in King James Court.

Boo is listening to an autobiography of Archbishop Fulton Sheen.

I am hoping...
to contact Sr. Sheila at Sacred Heart Catholic Mission or the priest at the sponsoring church about receiving Eucharist at home. Boo is unwilling to leave home often. He becomes confused easily at home and even more easily away from his comfort zone.

I am learning...
to pace myself. I may not accomplish all I want every day. However if I try to fill my day with all the things I think I need to do, I neglect the truly important---actually spending unhurried time with Boo and Mother.

Around the house...
all is currently quiet. That won't last long. As soon as I put on pajamas, Boo and Boudreaux will awaken.

I am pondering...
how to curtail some of my Mother's overly ambitious projects in such a way that she doesn't feel uninvolved or slighted. She doesn't have the stamina she once had...and neither do I. I'm having difficulty keeping up with her projects. They all seem to involve my participation. Maybe we need to concentrate on those that are most important to her or maybe I need to sit down with her and list what needs to be done when (and by whom) for each of her projects. Then perhaps we can delegate some parts to others.

This is what happens when she attempts too much. Mom ends up napping on “Boudreaux's” bed with him. This is actually our “little” bedroom that is set up for Mom should she want to use it. Boudreaux just claims the bed for day time naps.





A favorite quote for today...
My past, O Lord, to your mercy;
my present, to your love;
my future, to your providence.”
St. Padre Pio

One of my favorite things...
recently is to collapse on the loveseat in our den/dining room and enjoy some peach tea---iced if it's hot out and hot if it's cold out.

One of Boo's favorite things recently is to sit on our front porch and wave at people who pass on the street. He hasn't wanted to talk to any of them and tends to respond to them in monosyllables. At least he's willingly doing that. I think he'll become more talkative as he becomes use to the new faces he's seeing.

A peek into my day...



We're linking with A Simple Woman's Daybook.

1 comment: