Friday, November 16, 2012

Seven Quick Takes


One

After Boo's ER experience, I thought we'd come through the worst of it. Sadly, that is not the case. Boo contracted the flu. He was given an antiviral and seems to be doing just fine. I, on the other hand, have also managed to contract the flu. I'm such a baby when I get a cold or the flu. Give me strep throat, bronchitis, poison ivy, sprained ankles or a broken arm. I'm fine with those. Colds and flu just don't sit well with me and I complain. Boo has started laughing at me when I complain. Otherwise, he leaves me alone. It seems that I'm not a candidate for antiviral drugs and I just have to tough it out. (I'm really not that sick. I just feel miserable.)



Two

Boo is actually quite improved. He now welcomes the home health nurse when she comes...as he certainly did not earlier. Boo realized that I was keeping an accurate intake and output record. That was necessary as long as he was so confused and until the antibiotics started their work. Now it's not so necessary. I continue to keep it, however, because Boo prompts me to do so. He also prompted me to record that he'd had a great day and was in a good mood, but that one of us was not. Hummm...wonder if that one could possibly be his wife?



Three

We're listening to The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkein. Boo is fascinated by it. He has been able to follow the plot with little assistance. He does keep expecting Bilbo to appear any minute, but has contented himself that Frodo is Bilbo's adopted son. Boo has determined that we need to have a fire outside one night and tell stories. Maybe, maybe. Once I feel better.



Four

We've enjoyed listening to several old radio programs this week. Boo has discovered Gunsmoke and thinks he likes the radio program better than the TV show. He's also enjoyed the You Were There and the Mr. President series. I discovered an old soap opera that was hilarious. Thank goodness for the internet and for Internet Archive.



Five

Crocheting is my current past time. I'm working on a burgundy shawl for my Mother for Christmas. Boo needs several beanies because he's begun to wear one constantly inside and out. So, I guess that will be my next project. There are several “manly” versions that I'd like to make for him that shouldn't take long. I'm sure Boo needs one in Saints colors to help him cheer his beloved team when they play.



Six

I've rediscovered the magical powers of fresh ginger root tea for a queasy stomach. After I'm no longer queasy, peppermint tea is a wonderful restorative. Dr. Bonner's Peppermint Soap is another restorative. I feel clean, refreshed and ready for...well, the last few days, ready to change the sheets and get back in bed.



Seven

My childhood friend, Kim, for whom I've begged prayers, is beginning to adjust to continued life with chemo. She is resting a little better most days and has been eating a little more. Kim's spirits are better though she is still very weak and communicates with difficulty. Still, she is able to communicate! Thank you for your prayers. Please continue to lift her up.

Seven Quick Takes

1 comment: