Monday, January 31, 2011

Wonderful Experience

Sat, 15 Jan 2011




Although I was VERY uncertain about Boo’s stay in our small local hospital, I have been more than satisfied with his care. He is currently one of five patients. The Rns and CNAs have been very attentive and knowledgeable. Not only has each RN taken the time to briefly review Boo’s medical history with us (This has never happened anywhere else!), but they explain to me what drugs are being given, why, possible side effects, how the various drugs work AND when Boo is awake, they explain it to him. The staff has taken a similar approach when explaining diet and exercise. They’ve provided me with lots of written information, some good websites and referrals to community resources. I expected most of this information in a very condensed form as a part of Boo’s discharge instructions. Because they have given it to us all along, we can ask questions now and better prepare for Boo’s homecoming. I so wish other hospitals had taken this approach. I understand his care far better now than I ever have---and with 18 different medications taken at six different times, some with food, others not, coming up with an appropriate exercise program that he can tolerate and a diet that meets his dietary needs and is tasty, I want and need all the information I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment