Friday, September 7, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday

1.
 
Yep, we're still here!  The last few weeks have been stressful.  I let blogging go to make more time for Boo and to support others who've needed...umm...well, support.  Boo's dementia has not noticeably responded to new medication.  Some days and, nights for that matter, are better than others.  Soon it will be time for new tests and more assessments.  Until then, I'm learning to go with the flow and keep accurate records.
 
 
2.
 
Tomorrow is sugar free oatmeal cookie day.  I bought lots of oats for Boo's almost daily three cups of oatmeal at a time craze.  Now, he's interested in Honey Nut Cheerios.  Go figure.  We still have six pounds of oats.  So, once I figure out which sugar free oatmeal cookie recipe we liked best, I'm making cookies.  Lots of cookies.  They freeze well and I like having homemade treats on hand for Boo.  Maybe, just maybe, Boo will roll cookie balls by hand.  That's my least favorite part.  We'll see.
 
 
3.
 
Last night I went with a good friend of mine, Judy Mack, to UNC Central University so that she could participate in a forum.  I learned more in that two and a half period about the history of the Wilmington 10 than I had managed to piece together in all the preceding years.  Just as a side note, and to let you know just how far behind the times I am, the forum was televised to several NC colleges live and all participated in the question and answer period.  I felt like I'd been transported into the future.  Really, it was one of the best uses of technology that I've seen.  After the forum, Judy and I talked to several people who recounted stories of her late mother's activism.  This was definitely one of the highlights of my week.  Here's a link to a news article on the event by a reporter for The Herald Sun.
 
 
4.
 
I've learned some new to me skills with my Paint Shop program while I took a blogging break.  Now I can make and use photo masks, do more extensive touch ups on old photos and manipulate text the way I want.  OK, I know most of you can already do all that and it was easy once I understood what to do.  Next, I'm working on creating my own digital scrap booking paper and elements.  This is the most fun I've had since art classes years ago.
 
 
5.
 
Last Sunday two of our children came to visit for the day.  It was great to see them and to hear about their studies and money making schemes.  They're both creative, if nothing else.  Both are also developing an interest in politics...at least on an informational level.  Yea!  They don't have to agree with my views.  I just want them to know what is happening around them and make up their own minds...and to act on their beliefs. 
 
 
6.
 
A young friend of ours in her early twenties was diagnosed with an acute leukemia this past week.  Her father also died of acute leukemia when she was in elementary school.  I was devastated.  Liz is a vibrant, energetic Christian who planned to graduate from college and get married this December.  Both plans are on hold right now while she concentrates on chemo and healing.  When her friends asked what she needed and how they could help, Liz responded in typical Liz fashion, "I'm fine.  If they wanna help, tell them to sign up for a United Way Day of Caring team and help someone in need.  They can do it for me."  That's Liz's spirit, always sharing and upbeat. 
 
Please remember Elizabeth and her family in your prayers. 
 
 
7.
 

 
 







1 comment:

  1. As the former administrator of the blogging portal I moderated for used to tell me, real life trumps blogging. I know I've been pretty scarce for a few weeks myself... because Daniel was home.

    ReplyDelete