Friday, May 25, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday


1.

We've discovered an easy way to make really delicious homemade fruit frozen yogurt. Boo has had frozen treats several nights this week. He considers it ice cream and loves it.

Boo's Fruit “Ice Cream”

1 small package of sugar free jello dissolved in ½ cup boiling water and COOLED
2 pints of plain yogurt
1 cup of Splenda
1 cup of diced frozen fruit
Optional: ½ cup of toasted wheat germ or
½ cup of chopped nuts or
2 tablespoons of flax seeds
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into prepared tabletop
ice cream maker and 25 minutes later---”ice cream.”



2.

The poem that seemed to capture Boo's thoughts this week is written by MayaAngelou and is entitled, A Brave and Startling Truth.

We, unaccustomed to courage exiles from delight
live coiled in shells of loneliness
until love leaves its high holy temple
and comes into our sight
to liberate us into life.

If we are bold, love strikes away the chains of fear from our souls.

Love costs all we are and will ever be.
Yet it is only love which sets us free.
A Brave and Startling Truth.

It is possible and imperative that we discover
A brave and startling truth.

When we come to it
We, this people, on this wayward, floating body
Created on this earth, of this earth
Have the power to fashion for this earth
A climate where every man and every woman
Can live freely without sanctimonious piety
And without crippling fear

When we come to it
We must confess that we are the possible
We are the miraculous, the true wonders of this world
That is when, and only when
We come to it. 

3.

Yesterday Boo watched/listened to several episodes of Father Knows Best and then watched To Kill a Mockingbird. He tried to discuss them in the middle of the night. The two were mixed together in his mind and led to some interesting discussions. That is, until I really woke up and figured out what was going on in his mind. Middle of the night discussions seldom work well for me.



4.

Today I must wash, dry, fold or hang and put away clothes. This mundane task is suddenly a major issue with a torn rotor cuff. It's painful! Boo can help with hanging clothes, but folding? Let's just say he's folding impaired. Are all men like that?




5.

I found some firm thera clay for Boo this week at a medical supply store. It really helps develop his fine motor skills and is a great “fidget” for those times when he needs something to do with his hands. At 38 dollars for four ounces, I'll be looking for a recipe to make at home or a different source. There were no ingredients listed on the package. Just what would possibly make thera clay so expensive?



6.

I must scan photos today. I've sorted photos into groups and all that's left is to actually scan. Another mundane task, but this one I can easily accomplish. With scanned photos, I can enlarge them on the TV screen and Boo can tell me stories about them to record. We've done this with some of his photos. He really enjoys reliving events from the past. As a bonus, when he's having an unsettled day I can remind him of some of these things. Usually he can recall a past memory and calm down enough to reorient himself in public without having to resort to medication.



7.

Boo has looked at prom photos of one of his granddaughters this week. They provoked a lot of tears. She shouldn't be old enough to date yet and definitely not old enough to go to a prom. What exactly are her parents thinking?  (They're probably wishing they could have their little girl back sometimes too.)  He's told lots of stories about her as a baby and young child. Wonderful memories to stash away for those times when he really needs to focus on good times.

7 Quick Takes Friday

2 comments:

  1. #4: My husband can fold but his mom and I both have "trained" him.

    #5: I know what it is and I'm guessing there's a corn starch component. My grandfather had it from his hand surgeries and I think it's still around at my grandmother's house.

    Y'all are now ensconced in my blog feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! I'm working on finding a thera clay recipe. The two I've tried so far are OK, but not really what i want. One is too grainy; the other too squishy, not firm enough. I will figure it our.

    ReplyDelete